Something Green for St Patties Day


I recently discovered that you can use egg shells for starting your seeds. When the seedlings are ready to be planted, you can put them in the ground, eggshell and all and the eggs shells will give the plants extra nutrients. (I recommend crumbling the shell a little when planting outdoors so it's easier for the roots to spread. ) You can use the egg carton to hold the shells while your seedlings are growing. I saved some clear plastic packaging to use as domes to put over my seedlings as it can still be a bit nippy in our old house this time of year.


I didn't have enough eggshells this year to do all my seedlings and I have a zillion of these plastic planters still kicking around, so I did use some of them too. Another cool tip I picked up this year, that probably is obvious to some people, is that if you put your seeds in a cup and use tweezers to put them in the soil, it's easier to control how many seeds you plant. In the past, I had a tendency to let too many seeds go in each compartment. I also have to become more ruthless about pulling seedlings when there's too many in one space once they've started growing.

While I'm talking about growing things, I wanted to share with you this awesome new magazine I just got in the mail. It's called "Taproots" . With articles about local living, fun artwork and photography, few advertisements and edited by SouleMama, it's worth a read.

Anyways, I think I need to take my little Leprechaun outside and find us a rainbow.

Comments

Popular Posts