In the Garden: Is it too soon?







It's that in between time of year where some days we're huddled by the pellet stove, and others, like today, we're running around outside with our coats off (in t-shirts, for the bravest among us!). Seeing those bits of muddy grass gives me the motivation to dig out my seed box and take stock of what I have and what I will need. I haven't started any seedlings yet, but not to worry. We have a late growing season here (we're not frost free until the end of May!), so I'm not late at all. It's good to go through old seeds so I don't buy something that I already have in plentiful amounts. Yes, four packets of eggplant seeds will surely be more than enough for my growing space. It was nice to be reminded of some of the seeds I got last year, and didn't have time to plant. I'm talking to you Shiso and Lovage and Pineapple tomatillos. I've gone through all the veggies, and next I'll take a look at flowers and see if there are any berry bushes I have space for. While I was digging through I also organized seeds by where and when they need to be planted. Next I want to map everything out to make sure I have space and so I can plant good neighbor plants together.

I've also brought the garden to my sewing room. I made a few garden apron/ tool belts to sell at the Farmer's market this summer. They have pockets for seeds and lists and whatnot, and a belt to hold tools. I will probably make myself one, but I can't choose what fabric I want... oh, the difficulties of having too much beautiful fabric. 

At the same time, I've been making winter pixie hats for the girls. Yes, we definitely still have a firm foot in winter right now too. 

Anyone have any cool seed varieties they're trying this year? I'm excited to try Japanese Tatsoi (which I've been told is a bit like spinach, but easier to grow here) and Dragon Carrots (They are purple and are suppose to be spicy and sweet.). I'm looking for rose bush recommendations. I want a variety that makes rose hips and smells lovely.

Joining in with KCCO over at Frontier Dreams .

Comments

mary said…
you're so busy! I have yet to start my seeds...but have them ready.

Popular Posts