Sea Glass


I've got soft bulky wool yarn by the bushel full, and a special project in the works, that after much indecision, has finally gotten the green light. I tried three or four granny patterns before I settled on this one. I find it just as difficult to choose one square as many squares, for the fate of all those beautiful balls of yarn is dependent on choosing wisely. If I'm sick of the square before I've even finished the first one, it is not to be. Mono-color is not my typical style, but I wanted to start something that would be relaxing, and easy enough to pick up here and there with the inevitable distractions in a two toddler household.  Finding a block that is suited to being worked in one color turned out to be more of a challenge than expected. There are so many blocks that need the color change to make the pattern pop out. I ended up concluding that what's simple is best... a sweet flower motif, with a little bit of puff to add texture. I think I can live with this block for a little while.


Two things I am looking forward to in the cooler season ahead: lots of crocheting and lots of stories read allowed in the evenings... maybe even the two things at the same time! We recently started "The Wind Boy" by Ethel Cook Eliot, a birthday present for Mr. Jake, who actually requested stories we can read as a family, bless the silly man! I only recently heard about this book and while we've only read the first chapter, it seems quite enthralling. If anyone has any unusual children's fantasy books suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Joining in with KCCO over at Frontier Dreams, and Yarn Along over at Small Things.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Supercute Granny squares!!
melody said…
The Wind Boy is wonderful! Look for other books by the same author. I'm so tired that the titles aren't coming to mind at the moment, but we have several and they are all lovely. There is one in particular that is actually out of print, but that you can download for free on-line.
Bonnie Wildwood said…
Thanks about the granny square conestasmismanitas ! And I am definitely going to check out more of Ethel Eliot Cook's books, Melody. I already ordered "The House Above the Trees" as a Christmas present for the family. I appreciate the tip about the out of print one. I will try to find it.

Popular Posts