Garden Party Frock

 
I know we're all sick of the weather and sick of hearing ourselves talk about the weather, so let's not. Let's talk about luscious color on this otherwise very muddy, sloshy afternoon. I wish I had more sunny windows so I could plant more cacti and succulents and green to combat all the grey and white in the great big world. Grey and white, while they serve their purpose, are not things I delight in... Give me vibrant colors that I can splash around in! I recently did a bit of a wardrobe cleansing and realized that my thirty something self had gone the straight and narrow with many of my choices (practical yes, but altogether uninspiring). And while I don't necessarily want to return to some of the nutty outfits I wore as a young maiden, I thought it might be nice to spoil myself a little and make a few fun things for Spring.

 

I don't have much time to sew these days, and I know I should have been starting on some Easter dresses for the girls, but I've been wanting to sew for me for the longest time, and there is always something more pressing. So, what the heck! This was a quick sew, and I dove right in! I needn't feel guilty as I am hardly the fashionista, and barely even by myself clothes except when things start to get a bit beyond mending. And, there's still time before Easter to make the girls a little something, so I'll stop chiding myself for a bit of self-centerness. 


Now I'm sure you're saying, "But, Bonnie, why did you make maternity ware?" Ha! You're so funny. No, I'm not pregnant, I'm just a sucker for flowy blouses that hide my mother of two belly. And "Comfy" is my middle name. I would have been even happier if this pattern belled out a slight bit more... maybe if I make another version. It came out a tad boxy, but I think it looks better on, than lying flat on the table.

I had to pose with my fake cup of tea so you could get the full effect. The camera and I don't get along too well. My apologies for that, but I spared you about fifty more awkward shots that the Mister snapped for me. It's a little hard to tell, but there is a yoke.


I imagine myself picking veggies in the summer sun in this "frock"... maybe not technically a "frock", but I think it begs to be called one! I have a few more Spring blouses to squeeze in before we can truly call it Spring around here (but Mud Season is officially in full swing!)

Sewing Notes:
Pattern: "New Look" pattern #6913 style C
Fabric: Carnaby Street by Pat Bravo for Art Gallery Fabrics ( It's a super soft quilting cotton that almost feels like voile. It reminds me of a Liberty of London print or some beautiful Japanese fabric.)
Changes: I modified the back to be one piece instead of having an unnecessary seam. I also omitted the belt, which perhaps could help with the boxiness.

To see another version I made of this pattern in style D, click here.

Comments

Popular Posts