Dance of the Spring Faeries

On the first day of Spring we awoke to more snow. I guess it wasn't really a surprise, as Spring weather takes it time getting to the north country... usually when everyone else is declaring it summer, but it's been so dang cold this year, it would have been nice to have a little burst of sunshine. Anyway, as the saying goes, "when you have scrap fabric, make scrap fabric tutu's" or maybe it's something about lemons. I really don't know at this point. So, that's what we did to welcome Spring, even though it's not very Spring-like at the moment.



I dumped a big bag of scrap fabric on the floor and after the girls swam around in it, Oona and I dug around for the long thin strips. I cut them up with pinking sheers and tied them to an elastic ribbons I had sewn together in their sizes. You could also use regular ribbon and tie it in a bow if you wanted to make an adjustable one. Oona requested I make one for her llama, Lupe, too. That one was easy because I used the tiny scraps from the pinking sheers. I didn't do any measuring, just cut away in different widths and lengths, pointing the ends. The bag of scrap fabric I used was one I found at the thrift store for a couple dollars, and I've gotten endless use out of it... truly a magic bag as it never seems to run out.





Now we just have to do the 'Dance of the Spring Faeries' and maybe the sun will shine upon us a little brighter!



* There are endless examples of these scrap skirts on the web if you are looking for inspiration. I love this one by SouleMama . It would also be fun to make these with other scrap material such as lace, ribbon or vintage hankies, or perhaps all of the above.

Comments

Popular Posts