In the Garden: Pickles and Pranksters












The garden is alive! Sometimes I'm afraid to go in it knowing hours will be lost picking and preening or that I just won't find my way out again. I finally took a large bowl of cucumbers to the cutting block today to make pickles. I have no idea how they turned out, but I'm crossing my fingers that I didn't overcook them as I did last year. The cukes I used are called "poona kheera cucumbers" from High Mowing Seeds, and that's why they are yellow and not your typical green and I do belief they will make a good pickling cucumber. Sadly, I am alone on the pickle eating as I was with the radishes. The kids love regular cucumbers, and there's still plenty for eating, but they are picky about pickles. Oh well. I'm going to visit family soon and will come bearing pickles.

In other garden news, we've once again waited until the last minute to devise a plan to protect our corn from hungry critters. So we threw all the bells in our house on the corn and made a quick scarecrow out of a clothes rack, hat and tee shirt. And then because I couldn't think of what else to do, I threw some hula hoop booby traps all about and a table cloth over my favorite ones at night. So far I think it actually helped, but maybe they're just biding their time for the corn to get plumper as I am. We'll see who has the last laugh.


Here's my previous garden posts from this year (2015): 

Comments

Popular Posts