Straw Hats and Buckwheat Hulls


 The crafty and thrifty gods were smiling on me today when I brought three bags and a box of junk to  drop off at the local thrift store. I wasn't planning on looking around at all, but this particular thrift store always has craft supplies, and temptation got the better of me. I'm a bit glad it did because I scored some life vests for the girl's which are pretty darn expensive brand new, two darling straw hats which I've been day dreaming about finding since the snow started to melt, a huge bag of thread in a rainbow of colors, a cool book about festivals, a ton of embroidery hoops for making dream catchers and a few other bits and bobs. The embroidered blouse was bought for Oona and the lace around the hat was another thrifty find that seems to have been serendipity. The best thing is that most of these purchases will help me in my crafty pursuits and not simply clutter up my already cluttered house. But, I do feel I need to keep at the decluttering and bring a little bit more back their way. It did feel good to let go of some things. Next time, I won't tempt myself with a peek.



I did do a little making today, too, and not just consuming. I finished up some buckwheat hull and mint pillows I started sometime last week. They each have a cover and are made from organic fabric. I'm hoping to do a shop update with these, some eye pillows and sleepy-time dolls in the next week or so. I'm also looking forward to a day without rain (it's been raining since Sunday), tomorrow, so I can get back to the garden and stay out of the bargain shops.


Joining in with KCCO over at Frontier Dreams .

Comments

Lucy Bowen said…
Lovely haul and lovely pillows.
FrontierDreams said…
Wow what great finds! I miss our Oregon thrift shops, the ones in our little town here in ID don't ever seem to have anything...well except some awesome vintage books from time to time. :) I love your pillows and the fabric you used for them!
FrontierDreams said…
p.s. do you happen to know the name of the moth fabric? I adore it!
Bonnie Wildwood said…
Thank you both! I love this thrift shop, but it's a little bit of a drive (25 minutes over a mountain), but most things are around here. I guess that's better for my wallet. Nicole Spring, the moth fabric is from the Fort Firefly collection by Birch fabrics. It's called "fireflies coral". I originally used the fabric for dresses for my daughter's to be worn at my sister's wedding: http://www.littlewhitepaw.blogspot.com/2014/08/moths-and-lightening-bugs.html

Popular Posts