Pin-craft: Wax Paper Crayon Hearts


Oh Pinterest, so many fun ideas and so little time! I am totally guilty of "the pin and run"... stock piling pins and leaving them to rot in the black hole of pin boards. It's not really that bad a crime... inspiration for other projects emerges, and occasionally I try a recipe or make a craft from all this pinning. But lately, I've wanted to dig into these files and do a little more... probably because I'm feeling pathetic about how very little making goes on here these days.

One of my favorite things to search for these days is crafts I can do with the my little girl. This way, we can do something together and both fill a creative itch. What's simple is best with a three year old. With an abundance of broken crayons, we decided to try these wax paper crayon hearts that are everywhere on Pinterest with Valentine's Day just around the corner. 


Oona helped sort the crayons by color and make them into shavings with a pencil sharpener. I originally thought we would do different color hearts with analogous colors, but Oona decided that we needed to make rainbow hearts, and I'm glad we did. She also decided on adding black crayons to the mix, which I knew could make for some muck, but we went with it anyways. I have to admit, sometimes my patience gets tested working on collaborations with my little one. But as soon as I let go of whatever preconceived idea I have, and take into account her ideas too, we can usually come to a course of action we both feel good about.


We decided to add glitter to our crayon mix for some extra "zazz". Good call, I say. Oona helped sprinkle the crayon on a long sheet of wax paper while the iron heated up. If you try this at home, make sure to leave plenty of blank room around the edges and cover your ironing board with paper to protect it. ( I didn't do the latter, but I am skilled at living on the edge). This could get messy or dangerous if you're not very careful, so it's probably best to have an adult do the ironing.


I was amazed that she didn't knock any of our crayon dust on the floor as it balanced uncovered on the ironing board. Then we just placed another sheet of wax paper the same size on top and pressed the iron down carefully on the surface... not really ironing, but just pressing down and picking it up until all the crayons were melted. I melted super fast! 


 And here's our rainbow lake! "Oona Horse" is going for a swim.


Finally, I made a heart pattern and cut out some hearts. Here's another example of our collaborative differences. I had hoped to hang these up in the window as intended, but Miss Oona said a firm and absolute "No" to that. "NO, they are just hearts." Ok, she wins for now. I'll see if I can get her to come around on that point... or maybe I'll just have to make some more on my own. She did a little drawing on the tops of them which you can sort of see in the last photo, which had kind of a neat effect. 

Anyways, I'm hoping to make these pin-crafts a more regular thing around here.

Comments

Popular Posts