In the Garden: Lilacs and Forget-me-nots














I love this time of year when the air is perfumed with cherry blossoms and lilacs. Change bursts from every corner of the Earth. I haven't been keeping up with gardening tasks as much as I'd like to, but still, a seed planted here or there and something comes forth.

After years of trying to get forget-me-nots to bloom, I was pleasantly surprised to find them scattered throughout the yard. Hurrah for planting packs of wildflowers seeds year after year. I had planted a big patch under one of our cherry trees last year that must have gone in to late, because it never bloomed. But I left them alone, and they came back in abundance this year, and found their way to other corners of the yard (probably from all those wildflower packs I've been sowing). I love all the colors right now. I wish I could drink flower colors.

Another happy surprise "in the garden"(I say this even though it refers to our whole yard), was the return of my bleeding hearts. They were accidently dug up when Jake and my dad were trying to find the septic tank in December.  Yes, it's truly not the best time to go looking for a septic tank. Anyways, they were slow to poke their head out of the ground, so I thought they'd been lost to the dig, but they made a come back. They are half the size that they were last year, but at least they're not gone for good. There was actually a small patch that ended up in our driveway so I transferred them to the children's flower garden. It seems the bleeding hearts are spreading throughout the yard now, too.

I'm hoping to get a lot in the ground this weekend. What are you growing, friends?

Comments

Popular Posts