Self-care


Welcome November (a little late)! The trees are the color of ash, and there's a hint of wood smoke in the air. October ended with coughs and sneezes, and my littlest, in particular, has needed lots of extra cuddles. I have not been feeling tip top, myself, so its become necessary to slow down and tend to my own needs, as well. It's very easy as a mom to neglect your own needs, but when your sick, getting better quickly is advantageous for everyone. So I tend to pay more attention to what I'm consuming and give myself a little more patience and understanding. It's also my birthday week (tomorrow!), so focusing a little more on self-care feels about right.


For the cold, I am:
- drinking lemon water with a tiny pinch of cayenne
- eating homemade brothy soup
- gargling salt water
- putting my head under a towel with a bowl of steaming herbs and essential oil (dried rosemary and sage and two drops of eucalyptus oil)... I do this for five to ten minutes or whatever the kids will allow.
- using a hot water bottle on my chest at night
- getting fresh air
- oil pulling with coconut oil
- giving the kiddos spoons of raw honey
* I need to pick up some elderberry syrup, too!

For my spirit, I am:
- reading poetry
- raking leaves
- walking when I can
- using one of my herbal flax seed eye pillows in the evening
- starting to keep a daily gratitude list
- hugging more
- making a few projects for myself
- having low expectations (sometimes necessary)

I find this time of year, in the cool climate we live in, it's easy for me to feel melancholy and dissatisfied. The days are darker and the lack of sunshine really brings me down, and makes me fatigued. I try to get outside when I can and take some extra vitamin D3 droplets for this.

I hope you are enjoying good health and happiness where ever you are. If you have any amazing natural cold remedies, please share!

Here is my Vegan/Vegetarian Thai Curry Soup Recipe (Serves 1-2 people)

- 1.5 to 2 cups water
- clove of garlic diced
- 1/2 inch piece of ginger diced
-1/4 medium onion diced
- 1 small to medium carrot diced
- handful of broccoli chopped finely
- handful fresh diced chives (optional)
- one kaffir lime leaf ( optional)
- cilantro
-1/4 teaspoon turmeric
-1/4 teaspoon curry
-dash of cayenne
- handful of rice noodles

Sauté onions and garlic in a little bit of olive oil for 1 to 2 minutes. Add water and all other ingredients except  salt, cilantro and noodles. When it comes to a boil add noodles and cook until tender. Add cilantro and salt to taste and serve!

Comments

Popular Posts