Favorite Gingersnaps



 It seems you don't have to twist my arm to get me to make cookies. Oona oh so sweetly mentioned gingersnaps this morning, and I was in! (only a couple days after dental torture... bad, bad, bad, I know) I offered to make the chewier type, but no, they had to be the ones that could be shaped into animals... a true snap. I guess cutting out the shapes and playing with the animals is half the fun. Anything went... we had witches, moons, snails, gnomes, ducks, and a good deal of other woodland, farm and happy shapes. I used this recipe below from a 1950's Swedish cookbook (I think it's out of print so I can safely share the recipe). The only variation I made was to replace the corn syrup with molasses. They're a gingery delight!


*Ok, I lie... I actually made two variations this time. I added a little cocoa (1tbsp), to give them an extra kick... and of course, all the snappy little chocolate chip buttons and eyes and whatnot. Oh, and then I got rid of the blanched almonds, added a little less sugar... schucks... no recipe is sacred once I get my hands on it!


Here's the recipe as I made them:

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ginger
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon cloves
  • 1/2- 3/4 cups brown sugar
  • 1 egg well beaten (or lazily beaten)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons molasses
  • optional: 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
  • optional: chocolate chips for decorating (raisins, almond slivers, bits of candied ginger would also work nicely)

Combine all dry ingredients, mixing thoroughly, and then slowly add in wet ingredients mixing as you go. A mixer might save your muscles a workout .

Chill for several hours until dough is firm. I cheated and put it in the freezer and then forgot about it, and ended up having to thaw it. Still, it was faster than the several hours thing.

Next, roll on a floured surface and sprinkle flour on top. Roll into thin sheets and cut with a floured cookie cutter. The book says 1/16", but for me, it was probably 1/4" to 1/8" because I like them a little thicker. If it gets too sticky, sprinkle more flour or chill it again.

Cook 5-8 minutes in preheated oven at 375 degrees. Let cool and then make them dance. Take care to lock the door so they don't run away!




Comments

Popular Posts