Can I Sleep through Winter?






Hello blog! Hello New Year! I'm still here, I've just been doing a little hibernating. Well, not entirely, but I've really slowed down a pace or two. We've been playing in the snow, dancing in the living room, howling at the moon and eating good food. There's also been far too many games of  "Candy Land",  reading stories about "terrible troll birds" and honey badgers and keeping the blankets piled high. I haven't really been doing much crafting, which feels a bit odd. My first and only project this year are the dollies you see below, which I just finished last night. I have high hopes of doing a big winter clean out one of these days, but oh, the cold, and oh, the messes.

It's taking me a while to commit to any resolutions, but I think, if anything,  I really want to keep to these three simple ones.
1) Get outside each day
2) Be a gentle Mama
3) Find time to create

What are your hopes for the new year? 






And here's a recipe for you, if you are craving something warm and hearty in this frozen world.

Warming Winter Chili (Vegetarian/ Vegan/ Gluten and Dairy Free!)

Ingredients:
- 4-5 cups cooked black beans
- 22oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen kale chopped finely (2-3 cups fresh)
-1 medium onion diced
- 2 tsp chili powder
-1 tsp paprika 
-1 tsp  cocoa powder
-1 tsp cumin
-1/4 tsp cayenne (or to taste)
- handful of cilantro chopped finely
-olive oil 

Heat oil and then add diced onions and spices. Sautée a few minutes on medium heat and then add black beans, kale and tomatoes. Cook about 20-30 minutes on low with a cover stirring as needed. If using frozen kale it will take a little longer. Puree for a short time in blender so that all the lovely tastes merge together, but there is still some texture left. Add cilantro and serve. 

This makes 7-8 generous bowls of soup. 
Optional:
Top with cheddar, sour cream, balsamic vinegar, or bits of feta. 


Joining in with KCCO over at Frontier Dreams .
 

Comments

I'm with you! I want to sleep through winter as well.

Your mittens are lovely, and the soup sounds great for these chilly days.
Karen said…
Gonna try this one! Miss you bonnie! G is 10 months and I feel that I am just now coming back to earth with everyone else.
Bonnie Wildwood said…
Thanks Ranee! The soup is yum!
Bonnie Wildwood said…
Karen, I can't believe he's ten months already! Kid's are a daily reminder how fast time is really moving. I find it impossible to keep up with anyone these days. I can't even stay in touch with myself, haha. Time to make lunch for the kiddos. I:)

Popular Posts